Braised Chicken Gumbo
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Leftovers make this chicken gumbo an absolute breeze. The only prep you’ll need to do is to dice a bell pepper and slice some okra if you’re using fresh. That’s it! If you don’t have leftover chicken and sauce from Wine & Tomato Braised Chicken, you can use 2 cups shredded cooked chicken and 2 cups canned diced tomatoes instead of the leftover sauce.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded chicken from Wine & Tomato Braised Chicken (recipe follows)
- 2 cups sauce from Wine & Tomato Braised Chicken
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup sliced okra, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 3/4 cup instant brown rice (see Tip)
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bell pepper and flour and cook, stirring, until the pepper is beginning to soften and the flour is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, sauce, broth, okra, rice and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the flavors meld and the okra is tender, about 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: If you want to use rice that is not “instant,” stir in 1 cup of any leftover cooked rice instead. Or, if you have time, add 1/2 cup of quicker-cooking whole-grain rice, such as Bhutanese red rice or Kalijira rice, and an additional 1 1/4 cups of chicken broth before adding the okra. Cook until the rice is almost tender, about 25 minutes (or according to package directions), then add the okra and simmer until it is tender.
Per serving: 362 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 81 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 3 g fiber; 674 mg sodium; 551 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (85% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Zinc (20% dv), Magnesium (17% dv), Iron & Potassium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Mardi Gras
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2011