Braised Chicken Gumbo
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Leftovers make this chicken gumbo an absolute breeze. The only prep you’ll need to do is to dice a bell pepper and slice some okra if you’re using fresh. That’s it! If you don’t have leftover chicken and sauce from Wine & Tomato Braised Chicken, you can use 2 cups shredded cooked chicken and 2 cups canned diced tomatoes instead of the leftover sauce.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded chicken from Wine & Tomato Braised Chicken (recipe follows)
- 2 cups sauce from Wine & Tomato Braised Chicken
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup sliced okra, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 3/4 cup instant brown rice (see Tip)
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bell pepper and flour and cook, stirring, until the pepper is beginning to soften and the flour is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, sauce, broth, okra, rice and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the flavors meld and the okra is tender, about 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: If you want to use rice that is not “instant,” stir in 1 cup of any leftover cooked rice instead. Or, if you have time, add 1/2 cup of quicker-cooking whole-grain rice, such as Bhutanese red rice or Kalijira rice, and an additional 1 1/4 cups of chicken broth before adding the okra. Cook until the rice is almost tender, about 25 minutes (or according to package directions), then add the okra and simmer until it is tender.
Per serving: 362 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 81 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 3 g fiber; 674 mg sodium; 551 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (85% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Zinc (20% dv), Magnesium (17% dv), Iron & Potassium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Mardi Gras
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2011