I was excited to try this recipe, since I like pears and rutabagas. I followed the directions to the letter, then added some extra thyme and salt and pepper to try to boost the flavor after tasting it. Not sure what exactly is missing - but the result wasn't very flavorful, even with the extra seasonings.
North Country Braised Chicken
Homey, hearty and flavorful, this easy chicken stew recipe sings with apple cider, rutabaga and pears. Serve over whole-wheat egg noodles or spaetzle.
4 Reviews for North Country Braised Chicken
This is a really delicious simple meal. The recipe makes a lot of food. The serving size is filling. The chicken actually takes a bit longer to cook. So maybe next time I'd try putting the chicken in to finish cooking when I put the pears in. Other than that, I'd say it was a great dish.
I just made this for dinner last night—actually, made a half batch, as I live alone and didn't want too many leftovers. It was pretty simple to make, and I was very pleased with the final product.
I must admit, I had never bought or eaten a rutabaga before, and I found it slightly intimidating. But it went amazingly well with the pears and spices in this recipe. And the breading on the chicken added a touch of decadence, making it feel like a special treat.
My one complain is that it all took quite a bit longer to cook than the recipe recommended, so I had to wait about 30 more minutes to finally taste my supper. But that was most likely because the chicken was not entirely thawed by the time I started—still slightly frozen in the very center.
I will definitely be making this one again.
Loved the idea and the actual product. Easy to make, too.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)