Braised Celery Hearts with Honey-Mustard Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Braising makes celery tender and mild. Here we zip up celery with a sweet-and-sour honey-mustard glaze. Buy celery hearts trimmed and bagged or trim away the outer stalks from 2 big bunches and use the tender hearts.
- 2 celery hearts
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cut a thin slice from the base of each celery heart, leaving the stalks attached. Trim the tops so the hearts measure 7 to 8 inches long. Slice each heart in half lengthwise.
- Whisk vinegar, honey and mustard until blended; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add the celery hearts cut-side down, snuggling them in if necessary. Cover and cook, turning once, until lightly browned and tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the vinegar mixture; bring to a boil. Cook, turning the celery to coat, until the liquid is reduced and syrupy, about 4 minutes. Serve drizzled with the sauce.
Per serving: 150 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 13 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 3 g fiber; 363 mg sodium; 460 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (17% daily value), Vitamin C (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat, 1 carbohydrate (other)
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 2012