Braised Celery Hearts with Honey-Mustard Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Braising makes celery tender and mild. Here we zip up celery with a sweet-and-sour honey-mustard glaze. Buy celery hearts trimmed and bagged or trim away the outer stalks from 2 big bunches and use the tender hearts.
- 2 celery hearts
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cut a thin slice from the base of each celery heart, leaving the stalks attached. Trim the tops so the hearts measure 7 to 8 inches long. Slice each heart in half lengthwise.
- Whisk vinegar, honey and mustard until blended; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add the celery hearts cut-side down, snuggling them in if necessary. Cover and cook, turning once, until lightly browned and tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the vinegar mixture; bring to a boil. Cook, turning the celery to coat, until the liquid is reduced and syrupy, about 4 minutes. Serve drizzled with the sauce.
Per serving: 150 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 13 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 3 g fiber; 363 mg sodium; 460 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (17% daily value), Vitamin C (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat, 1 carbohydrate (other)
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 2012