Braised Celery Hearts with Honey-Mustard Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Braising makes celery tender and mild. Here we zip up celery with a sweet-and-sour honey-mustard glaze. Buy celery hearts trimmed and bagged or trim away the outer stalks from 2 big bunches and use the tender hearts.
- 2 celery hearts
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cut a thin slice from the base of each celery heart, leaving the stalks attached. Trim the tops so the hearts measure 7 to 8 inches long. Slice each heart in half lengthwise.
- Whisk vinegar, honey and mustard until blended; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add the celery hearts cut-side down, snuggling them in if necessary. Cover and cook, turning once, until lightly browned and tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the vinegar mixture; bring to a boil. Cook, turning the celery to coat, until the liquid is reduced and syrupy, about 4 minutes. Serve drizzled with the sauce.
Per serving: 150 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 13 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 3 g fiber; 363 mg sodium; 460 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (17% daily value), Vitamin C (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat, 1 carbohydrate (other)
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 2012