Braised Cauliflower & Squash Penne for Two
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
In this braised cauliflower and squash penne pasta recipe, we cook the pasta and vegetables in broth rather than water to make this warming vegetarian pasta extra flavorful. The starch from the pasta and vegetables combines with the broth as it simmers and creates a silky sauce. And you can make the whole dish in just one pot, so cleanup is a breeze.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cups “no-chicken” broth (see Tips) or vegetable broth
- 4 ounces whole-wheat penne (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup 1-inch cauliflower florets
- 1 cup 1-inch pieces peeled butternut squash (see Tips)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, thyme and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth, penne, cauliflower and squash. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a lively simmer and cook, uncovered, until the pasta is tender and the liquid is thickened and greatly reduced, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in pepper and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve topped with cheese.
Tips & Notes
- 1. For this recipe, we like to use chicken-flavored vegetarian broth over regular vegetable broth for its hearty, rich flavor and pale yellow color. Look for “no-chicken” broth in the natural-foods section of well-stocked supermarkets.
- 2. For convenience, try using butternut squash that is already peeled and cubed. Look for it near other prepared fresh vegetables in the produce department of most supermarkets.
Per serving: 331 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 9 g fiber; 594 mg sodium; 479 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (148% daily value), Vitamin C (53% dv), Calcium (17% dv), Iron (15% dv)
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2013