Braised Cauliflower & Squash Penne Pasta
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
In this braised cauliflower and squash penne pasta recipe, we cook the pasta and vegetables in broth rather than water to make this warming vegetarian pasta extra flavorful. The starch from the pasta and vegetables combines with the broth as it simmers and creates a silky sauce. And you can make the whole dish in just one pot, so cleanup is a breeze.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups “no-chicken” broth (see Tips) or vegetable broth
- 8 ounces whole-wheat penne (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups 1-inch cauliflower florets
- 2 cups 1-inch pieces peeled butternut squash (see Tips)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, thyme and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth, penne, cauliflower and squash. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a lively simmer and cook, uncovered, until the pasta is tender and the liquid is thickened and greatly reduced, 14 to 16 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in pepper and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve topped with cheese.
Tips & Notes
- 1. In this vegetarian pasta, we like to use “no-chicken” broth (made from a vegetable base) for its rich flavor and pale golden color instead of darker vegetable broth.
- 2. For convenience, try using butternut squash that is already peeled and cubed. Look for it near other prepared fresh vegetables in the produce department of most supermarkets.
330 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 9 g fiber; 594 mg sodium; 475 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (148% daily value), Vitamin C (52% dv), Calcium (17% dv), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2013