Braised Bulgur & Cabbage
Cooking hearty cabbage with nutty-tasting bulgur makes for a practical and nutrient-rich braise that marries nicely with pork or chicken.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup bulgur, (see Note)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped green cabbage
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce, or tamari
- 1/2 cup chopped unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Add bulgur, onion, cabbage and carrots; cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 1 minute. Add broth and soy sauce (or tamari); bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the bulgur is tender and the broth is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot, sprinkled with peanuts and parsley.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Bulgur is made by parboiling, drying and coarsely grinding or cracking wheat berries. Don't confuse bulgur with cracked wheat, which is simply that—cracked wheat. Since the parboiling step is skipped, cracked wheat must be cooked for up to an hour whereas bulgur simply needs a quick soak in hot water for most uses. Look for it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets, near other grains, or online at kalustyans.com, lebaneseproducts.com.
Per serving: 280 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 9 g fiber; 244 mg sodium; 564 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (160% daily value), Fiber (38% dv), Vitamin C (35% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Middle Eastern