Braised Bulgur & Cabbage
Cooking hearty cabbage with nutty-tasting bulgur makes for a practical and nutrient-rich braise that marries nicely with pork or chicken.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup bulgur, (see Note)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped green cabbage
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce, or tamari
- 1/2 cup chopped unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Add bulgur, onion, cabbage and carrots; cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 1 minute. Add broth and soy sauce (or tamari); bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the bulgur is tender and the broth is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot, sprinkled with peanuts and parsley.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Bulgur is made by parboiling, drying and coarsely grinding or cracking wheat berries. Don't confuse bulgur with cracked wheat, which is simply that—cracked wheat. Since the parboiling step is skipped, cracked wheat must be cooked for up to an hour whereas bulgur simply needs a quick soak in hot water for most uses. Look for it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets, near other grains, or online at kalustyans.com, lebaneseproducts.com.
Per serving: 280 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 9 g fiber; 244 mg sodium; 564 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (160% daily value), Fiber (38% dv), Vitamin C (35% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less