Braised Bulgur & Cabbage
Cooking hearty cabbage with nutty-tasting bulgur makes for a practical and nutrient-rich braise that marries nicely with pork or chicken.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup bulgur, (see Note)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped green cabbage
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce, or tamari
- 1/2 cup chopped unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Add bulgur, onion, cabbage and carrots; cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 1 minute. Add broth and soy sauce (or tamari); bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the bulgur is tender and the broth is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot, sprinkled with peanuts and parsley.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Bulgur is made by parboiling, drying and coarsely grinding or cracking wheat berries. Don't confuse bulgur with cracked wheat, which is simply that—cracked wheat. Since the parboiling step is skipped, cracked wheat must be cooked for up to an hour whereas bulgur simply needs a quick soak in hot water for most uses. Look for it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets, near other grains, or online at kalustyans.com, lebaneseproducts.com.
Per serving: 280 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 9 g fiber; 244 mg sodium; 564 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (160% daily value), Fiber (38% dv), Vitamin C (35% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less