Braised Broccoli Rabe with Orecchiette
Here we mellow broccoli rabe's bitterness just a bit by plunging it into boiling water for a minute before adding it to the pasta. For a variation, try adding crumbles of browned Italian turkey sausage.
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, tough stems trimmed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 5 cups vegetable broth, reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- 8 ounces whole-wheat pasta, such as orecchiette, chiocciole (pictured) or penne
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- Cook broccoli rabe in a large pot of boiling water until bright green and still crisp, about 1 minute. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Coarsely chop.
- Combine oil, garlic, rosemary and crushed red pepper in a large pot; cook, stirring, over medium heat, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth (or water) and bring to a boil. Add pasta and the broccoli rabe. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in shallow bowls, sprinkled with walnuts.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped walnuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 342 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 9 g fiber; 686 mg sodium; 168 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (175% daily value), Vitamin A (173% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less