Braised Broccoli Rabe with Orecchiette
Here we mellow broccoli rabe's bitterness just a bit by plunging it into boiling water for a minute before adding it to the pasta. For a variation, try adding crumbles of browned Italian turkey sausage.
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, tough stems trimmed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 5 cups vegetable broth, reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- 8 ounces whole-wheat pasta, such as orecchiette, chiocciole (pictured) or penne
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- Cook broccoli rabe in a large pot of boiling water until bright green and still crisp, about 1 minute. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Coarsely chop.
- Combine oil, garlic, rosemary and crushed red pepper in a large pot; cook, stirring, over medium heat, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth (or water) and bring to a boil. Add pasta and the broccoli rabe. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in shallow bowls, sprinkled with walnuts.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped walnuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 342 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 9 g fiber; 686 mg sodium; 168 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (175% daily value), Vitamin A (173% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Ease of Preparation