Braised Broccoli Rabe with Orecchiette
Here we mellow broccoli rabe's bitterness just a bit by plunging it into boiling water for a minute before adding it to the pasta. For a variation, try adding crumbles of browned Italian turkey sausage.
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, tough stems trimmed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 5 cups vegetable broth, reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- 8 ounces whole-wheat pasta, such as orecchiette, chiocciole (pictured) or penne
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- Cook broccoli rabe in a large pot of boiling water until bright green and still crisp, about 1 minute. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Coarsely chop.
- Combine oil, garlic, rosemary and crushed red pepper in a large pot; cook, stirring, over medium heat, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth (or water) and bring to a boil. Add pasta and the broccoli rabe. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in shallow bowls, sprinkled with walnuts.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped walnuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 342 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 9 g fiber; 686 mg sodium; 168 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (175% daily value), Vitamin A (173% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less