Braised Bok Choy with Tomatoes & Gruyere
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
The distinctive flavors of tomatoes, olives and Gruyere combine to give bok choy a Mediterranean flair.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 2-poundhead bok choy, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 slices whole-grain country bread, toasted and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Place oil and garlic in a large high-sided skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat and cook until the garlic is sizzling and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add bok choy, tomatoes and olives; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the bok choy is tender, 8 to 12 minutes. Stir in salt; top with bread and cheese, cover and cook until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
Per serving: 121 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 347 mg sodium; 638 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- August/September 2006