Braised Bok Choy with Tomatoes & Gruyere
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
The distinctive flavors of tomatoes, olives and Gruyere combine to give bok choy a Mediterranean flair.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 2-poundhead bok choy, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 slices whole-grain country bread, toasted and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Place oil and garlic in a large high-sided skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat and cook until the garlic is sizzling and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add bok choy, tomatoes and olives; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the bok choy is tender, 8 to 12 minutes. Stir in salt; top with bread and cheese, cover and cook until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
Per serving: 121 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 347 mg sodium; 638 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- August/September 2006