Braised Bok Choy with Tomatoes & Gruyere
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
The distinctive flavors of tomatoes, olives and Gruyere combine to give bok choy a Mediterranean flair.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 2-poundhead bok choy, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 slices whole-grain country bread, toasted and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Place oil and garlic in a large high-sided skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat and cook until the garlic is sizzling and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add bok choy, tomatoes and olives; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the bok choy is tender, 8 to 12 minutes. Stir in salt; top with bread and cheese, cover and cook until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
Per serving: 121 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 347 mg sodium; 638 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- August/September 2006