Braised Beef & Mushrooms
From EatingWell: January/February 2009
Traditional braises usually call for the meat to be browned first to seal in the juices, but here that step is skipped so it can absorb the wonderful taste of mushrooms, which completely permeate the sauce. If you find them, chanterelle mushrooms can be used in place of the shiitakes. Serve with whole-wheat egg noodles or spaetzle and a mixed green salad.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups finely diced onions
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 4 pounds beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 pounds cremini mushrooms, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 8 large shiitake mushroom caps, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2-3 teaspoons finely minced fresh tarragon, or dill for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil and butter in a large heavy casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and beginning to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, paprika and marjoram.
- Season beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and plenty of pepper. Add the beef and cremini mushrooms to the pot; gently stir to combine. Add broth and cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Transfer the pot to the oven and bake until the beef is very tender, 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 hours. Stir in shiitake mushrooms and continue baking, covered, for 15 minutes more. Remove from the oven, uncover and let stand, undisturbed, for about 15 minutes.
- Skim or blot any visible fat from the stew. Transfer the beef and mushrooms to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Return the pot to the stove and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook until the sauce just coats a spoon. Stir the beef, mushrooms and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt into the sauce and heat through, about 1 minute. Serve garnished with tarragon (or dill), if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4; let cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Finish with Step 5 just before serving.
Per serving: 224 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 49 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 2 g fiber; 246 mg sodium; 652 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (40% daily value), Potassium (18% dv), Iron & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- New Year's Eve
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- January/February 2009
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)