Bow Ties with Chicken, Red Peppers & Artichokes
Simple ingredients like chicken, bell pepper and artichokes result in a sophisticated warm pasta salad. Serve with Fast Olive-Rosemary Bread.
- 12 ounces whole-wheat bow-tie pasta
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 small red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, or 1 14-ounce can, rinsed
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water until cooled. Set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sauté until no longer pink inside, 2 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add peppers, shallots and garlic, and sauté until the peppers are tender-crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Add to the reserved chicken.
- Add broth, vinegar and rosemary to the pan and bring to a boil. Add artichokes and the reserved pasta and cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Return the reserved chicken mixture to the pan and toss with the pasta. Taste and adjust seasoning and sprinkle with pine nuts. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast pine nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 375 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 49 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 10 g fiber; 151 mg sodium; 497 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (82% daily value), Vitamin C (59% dv), Magnesium (31% dv), Folate (28% dv), Iron & Vitamin A (18% dv), Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique