From EatingWell: May/June 2010
Homemade cherry-infused bourbon (or rum) is the base for this adult seltzer. The bourbon syrup from the cherries is sweet, but if you like a sweeter cocktail, use ginger ale in place of the seltzer.
- 1 cup bourbon, such as Maker’s Mark, or dark rum
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 cups whole fresh cherries, stems left on
- 16 ounces (2 cups) seltzer water
- Microwave bourbon (or rum) and brown sugar in a microwave-safe dish until hot, about 1 minute. (Alternatively, heat in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot.) Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Pack cherries into a small jar and pour the hot liquid over them; gently press on the cherries to make sure they are submerged. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 week or up to 1 month.
- To prepare seltzers: Fill four 12-ounce rocks glasses with ice, add 11/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) cherry-infused bourbon (or rum) to each glass and top with about 4 ounces (1/2 cup) seltzer each. Garnish with 2 or 3 whole Bourbon Cherries. (Refrigerate the remaining Bourbon Cherries for up to 1 month.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the bourbon cherries (Step 1) in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Per serving: 334 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 40 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 12 mg sodium; 227 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 carbohydrate (other)
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- May/June 2010