From EatingWell: May/June 2010
Homemade cherry-infused bourbon (or rum) is the base for this adult seltzer. The bourbon syrup from the cherries is sweet, but if you like a sweeter cocktail, use ginger ale in place of the seltzer.
- 1 cup bourbon, such as Maker’s Mark, or dark rum
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 cups whole fresh cherries, stems left on
- 16 ounces (2 cups) seltzer water
- Microwave bourbon (or rum) and brown sugar in a microwave-safe dish until hot, about 1 minute. (Alternatively, heat in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot.) Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Pack cherries into a small jar and pour the hot liquid over them; gently press on the cherries to make sure they are submerged. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 week or up to 1 month.
- To prepare seltzers: Fill four 12-ounce rocks glasses with ice, add 11/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) cherry-infused bourbon (or rum) to each glass and top with about 4 ounces (1/2 cup) seltzer each. Garnish with 2 or 3 whole Bourbon Cherries. (Refrigerate the remaining Bourbon Cherries for up to 1 month.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the bourbon cherries (Step 1) in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Per serving: 334 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 40 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 12 mg sodium; 227 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 carbohydrate (other)
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- May/June 2010