From EatingWell: May/June 2010
Homemade cherry-infused bourbon (or rum) is the base for this adult seltzer. The bourbon syrup from the cherries is sweet, but if you like a sweeter cocktail, use ginger ale in place of the seltzer.
- 1 cup bourbon, such as Maker’s Mark, or dark rum
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 cups whole fresh cherries, stems left on
- 16 ounces (2 cups) seltzer water
- Microwave bourbon (or rum) and brown sugar in a microwave-safe dish until hot, about 1 minute. (Alternatively, heat in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot.) Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Pack cherries into a small jar and pour the hot liquid over them; gently press on the cherries to make sure they are submerged. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 week or up to 1 month.
- To prepare seltzers: Fill four 12-ounce rocks glasses with ice, add 11/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) cherry-infused bourbon (or rum) to each glass and top with about 4 ounces (1/2 cup) seltzer each. Garnish with 2 or 3 whole Bourbon Cherries. (Refrigerate the remaining Bourbon Cherries for up to 1 month.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the bourbon cherries (Step 1) in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Per serving: 334 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 40 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 12 mg sodium; 227 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 carbohydrate (other)
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- May/June 2010