From EatingWell: May/June 2010
Homemade cherry-infused bourbon (or rum) is the base for this adult seltzer. The bourbon syrup from the cherries is sweet, but if you like a sweeter cocktail, use ginger ale in place of the seltzer.
- 1 cup bourbon, such as Maker’s Mark, or dark rum
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 cups whole fresh cherries, stems left on
- 16 ounces (2 cups) seltzer water
- Microwave bourbon (or rum) and brown sugar in a microwave-safe dish until hot, about 1 minute. (Alternatively, heat in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot.) Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Pack cherries into a small jar and pour the hot liquid over them; gently press on the cherries to make sure they are submerged. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 week or up to 1 month.
- To prepare seltzers: Fill four 12-ounce rocks glasses with ice, add 11/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) cherry-infused bourbon (or rum) to each glass and top with about 4 ounces (1/2 cup) seltzer each. Garnish with 2 or 3 whole Bourbon Cherries. (Refrigerate the remaining Bourbon Cherries for up to 1 month.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the bourbon cherries (Step 1) in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Per serving: 334 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 40 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 12 mg sodium; 227 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 carbohydrate (other)
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2010