From EatingWell: May/June 2010
Homemade cherry-infused bourbon (or rum) is the base for this adult seltzer. The bourbon syrup from the cherries is sweet, but if you like a sweeter cocktail, use ginger ale in place of the seltzer.
- 1 cup bourbon, such as Maker’s Mark, or dark rum
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 cups whole fresh cherries, stems left on
- 16 ounces (2 cups) seltzer water
- Microwave bourbon (or rum) and brown sugar in a microwave-safe dish until hot, about 1 minute. (Alternatively, heat in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot.) Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Pack cherries into a small jar and pour the hot liquid over them; gently press on the cherries to make sure they are submerged. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 week or up to 1 month.
- To prepare seltzers: Fill four 12-ounce rocks glasses with ice, add 11/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) cherry-infused bourbon (or rum) to each glass and top with about 4 ounces (1/2 cup) seltzer each. Garnish with 2 or 3 whole Bourbon Cherries. (Refrigerate the remaining Bourbon Cherries for up to 1 month.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the bourbon cherries (Step 1) in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Per serving: 334 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 40 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 12 mg sodium; 227 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 carbohydrate (other)
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, alcoholic
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- May/June 2010