Bouillabaisse with Spicy Rouille
From EatingWell: January/February 2007
This famous Provencal stew was traditionally a catchall for fishermen's catch of the day. Our version uses ocean-friendly calamari, tilapia and scallops.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, white parts only, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced and thoroughly washed
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 large red potatoes, cut in 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 8-ounce bottles clam juice
- 1 cup water
- 2 4-inch strips orange peel, (see Tip)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Pinch saffron, (see Tip)
- 8 ounces tilapia fillets, cut into thirds
- 8 ounces large dry sea scallops, (see Tip), halved
- 8 ounces cleaned, sliced calamari (squid) tubes and tentacles, (see Tip)
- Spicy Rouille, (recipe follows)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add leeks, celery, garlic and fennel seed and cook, stirring often, until the leeks are softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and potatoes; cook, stirring often, until the tomatoes begin to break down, about 4 minutes. Add wine, increase heat to high, bring to a boil, and cook, stirring often, until reduced, 2 to 3 minutes. Add clam juice, water, orange peel, bay leaves and saffron and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Carefully submerge tilapia and scallops in the soup, return to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Add calamari, submerge in the soup, and continue cooking until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Discard orange peel and bay leaves. Serve the soup with a spoonful of Spicy Rouille on top.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Reheat and proceed with Step 2.
- Tips: Bottled clam juice can be very high in sodium. We like Bar Harbor brand, which has 120 mg sodium per serving. Look for it in the canned-fish section or the seafood department of your supermarket.
- Use a vegetable peeler to easily remove strips of the outer orange peel (zest), leaving the bitter white pith behind.
- Saffron is the dried stigma of a saffron crocus. It contributes a pungent flavor and intense yellow color to classic dishes like paella. Saffron is sold in threads and powdered form.
- We prefer cooking with dry sea scallops (not treated with sodium tripolyphosphate, or STP). Scallops that have been treated with STP (wet scallops) have been subjected to a chemical bath and are not only mushy and less flavorful, but will not brown properly.
- Calamari, also known as squid, is sold frozen or fresh in the seafood department of the grocery store. Look for cleaned calamari, with its cartilage and ink removed; otherwise ask at the fish counter to have it cleaned.
Per serving: 318 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 167 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 2 g fiber; 614 mg sodium; 960 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Potassium (27% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2007