Boneless Pork Chops with Mushrooms & Thyme
Although this supper is made to serve two, you can double or triple the recipe so it becomes a family meal that's big on taste but still very healthy. If you'd rather not use vermouth, substitute unsweetened apple juice.
- 2 5-ounce boneless, center-cut pork loin chops, trimmed and pounded to 1/4 inch thick (see Tip)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms, (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Sprinkle pork chops with salt and pepper. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add the pork chops and cook until browned on both sides and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to 2 serving plates; tent with foil to keep warm.
- Swirl oil into the pan, add shallot and cook, stirring, until soft, about 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until they soften and begin to brown, about 2 minutes. Add vermouth and cook for 15 seconds. Stir in mustard, thyme and any juices that have accumulated from the pork; cook until the sauce is thickened and slightly reduced, 1 to 2 minutes more. Spoon the sauce over the pork chops and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To pound the chops flat, place them between two sheets of plastic wrap on a stable surface. Pound steadily with the smooth side of a meat mallet or the bottom of a heavy saucepan until 1/4 inch thick.
Per serving: 298 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 77 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 1 g fiber; 382 mg sodium; 526 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (71% daily value); Potassium (17% dv), Zinc (17% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat