From EatingWell: July/August 1995
During August in Maine, one could happily survive on a diet of lobster, corn-on-the-cob and wild blueberries. Add blueberries to salads, cornmeal muffin mix, pancake batter or use them in simple desserts, such as this cheesecake-like torte.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup low-fat sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups cups nonfat plain yogurt
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 cups blueberries, preferably wild
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan or 8-inch square cake pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl with a fork. Add oil, egg whites, butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla; mix with a fork or your fingertips until well blended. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Whisk together egg, condensed milk and cornstarch in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add yogurt and whisk until smooth. Blend in lemon zest and the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour over the crust. Sprinkle blueberries evenly over the top. Bake the torte until the top is just set, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. (The center will quiver slightly when the pan is gently shaken.) Let cool in the pan on a rack. Loosen edges and remove the pan’s outer ring. Serve warm or chilled, dusted with confectioners’ sugar.
Per serving: 221 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 226 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995