From EatingWell: July/August 1995
During August in Maine, one could happily survive on a diet of lobster, corn-on-the-cob and wild blueberries. Add blueberries to salads, cornmeal muffin mix, pancake batter or use them in simple desserts, such as this cheesecake-like torte.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup low-fat sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups cups nonfat plain yogurt
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 cups blueberries, preferably wild
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan or 8-inch square cake pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl with a fork. Add oil, egg whites, butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla; mix with a fork or your fingertips until well blended. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Whisk together egg, condensed milk and cornstarch in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add yogurt and whisk until smooth. Blend in lemon zest and the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour over the crust. Sprinkle blueberries evenly over the top. Bake the torte until the top is just set, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. (The center will quiver slightly when the pan is gently shaken.) Let cool in the pan on a rack. Loosen edges and remove the pan’s outer ring. Serve warm or chilled, dusted with confectioners’ sugar.
Per serving: 221 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 226 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995