From EatingWell: July/August 1995
During August in Maine, one could happily survive on a diet of lobster, corn-on-the-cob and wild blueberries. Add blueberries to salads, cornmeal muffin mix, pancake batter or use them in simple desserts, such as this cheesecake-like torte.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup low-fat sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups cups nonfat plain yogurt
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 cups blueberries, preferably wild
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan or 8-inch square cake pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl with a fork. Add oil, egg whites, butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla; mix with a fork or your fingertips until well blended. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Whisk together egg, condensed milk and cornstarch in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add yogurt and whisk until smooth. Blend in lemon zest and the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour over the crust. Sprinkle blueberries evenly over the top. Bake the torte until the top is just set, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. (The center will quiver slightly when the pan is gently shaken.) Let cool in the pan on a rack. Loosen edges and remove the pan’s outer ring. Serve warm or chilled, dusted with confectioners’ sugar.
Per serving: 221 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 226 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995