From EatingWell: July/August 1995
During August in Maine, one could happily survive on a diet of lobster, corn-on-the-cob and wild blueberries. Add blueberries to salads, cornmeal muffin mix, pancake batter or use them in simple desserts, such as this cheesecake-like torte.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup low-fat sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups cups nonfat plain yogurt
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 cups blueberries, preferably wild
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan or 8-inch square cake pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl with a fork. Add oil, egg whites, butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla; mix with a fork or your fingertips until well blended. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Whisk together egg, condensed milk and cornstarch in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add yogurt and whisk until smooth. Blend in lemon zest and the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour over the crust. Sprinkle blueberries evenly over the top. Bake the torte until the top is just set, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. (The center will quiver slightly when the pan is gently shaken.) Let cool in the pan on a rack. Loosen edges and remove the pan’s outer ring. Serve warm or chilled, dusted with confectioners’ sugar.
Per serving: 221 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 226 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995