From EatingWell: July/August 1998
Small wild blueberries, which tend to be more tart than cultivated berries, are wonderful for baking. Forage them yourself or look for them with other frozen fruit in your supermarket.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons canola, oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg, egg white and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add yogurt, orange zest, orange juice, oil and vanilla; whisk until blended.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients; add wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with granulated sugar. Bake until tops are golden and spring back when touched lightly, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto rack to cool completely.
Per muffin: 182 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 275 mg sodium; 98 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- July/August 1998