From EatingWell: July/August 1998
Small wild blueberries, which tend to be more tart than cultivated berries, are wonderful for baking. Forage them yourself or look for them with other frozen fruit in your supermarket.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons canola, oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg, egg white and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add yogurt, orange zest, orange juice, oil and vanilla; whisk until blended.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients; add wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with granulated sugar. Bake until tops are golden and spring back when touched lightly, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto rack to cool completely.
Per muffin: 182 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 275 mg sodium; 98 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- July/August 1998