From EatingWell: July/August 1998
Small wild blueberries, which tend to be more tart than cultivated berries, are wonderful for baking. Forage them yourself or look for them with other frozen fruit in your supermarket.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons canola, oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg, egg white and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add yogurt, orange zest, orange juice, oil and vanilla; whisk until blended.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients; add wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with granulated sugar. Bake until tops are golden and spring back when touched lightly, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto rack to cool completely.
Per muffin: 182 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 275 mg sodium; 98 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- July/August 1998