From EatingWell: July/August 1998
Small wild blueberries, which tend to be more tart than cultivated berries, are wonderful for baking. Forage them yourself or look for them with other frozen fruit in your supermarket.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons canola, oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg, egg white and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add yogurt, orange zest, orange juice, oil and vanilla; whisk until blended.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients; add wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with granulated sugar. Bake until tops are golden and spring back when touched lightly, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto rack to cool completely.
Per muffin: 182 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 275 mg sodium; 98 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- July/August 1998