From EatingWell: June/July 2005
Here's an exceptionally easy condiment, perfect for a summer barbecue. Not only great on burgers, it's terrific as a glaze on grilled salmon or served alongside barbecued chicken.
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 medium shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place blueberries, sugar, vinegar, ginger, lime juice, salt and pepper in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the blueberries have mostly broken down and the sauce has thickened, 20 to 30 minutes. Spoon into glass jars or a large bowl and refrigerate until chilled and thickened, about 4 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 1 month.
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per tablespoon: 25 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 13 mg sodium; 9 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Blueberries are a good source of the phytochemicals anthocyanidins and ellagic acid.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- June/July 2005