For long, lolling summer mornings, make this luscious, cheese-filled Danish. It uses a tender cottage-cheese pastry that's far easier—and more healthful—than any traditional butter-laden dough.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice
- To prepare pastry: Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Puree cottage cheese in a food processor. Add sugar, milk, oil and vanilla and process until smooth. Add flour mixture and pulse 4 or 5 times, just until the dough clumps together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead several times; do not overwork. Press the dough into a disk, dust with flour and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 30 minutes.
- To prepare filling & bake Danish: Blend cream cheese and sugar with a food processor or an electric mixer until creamy. Blend in egg yolk, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut a piece of parchment paper or foil to fit a large baking sheet. If using foil, spray it with cooking spray. Set aside nearby.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a rectangle about 12 by 16 inches. Roll the dough back over the rolling pin and transfer it to the prepared paper (or foil). Spread the cream cheese mixture down the center of the dough, leaving a margin of 3 1/4 inches on the long sides and 1 inch at either end. Sprinkle blueberries evenly over the cream cheese mixture.
- Using a sharp knife, make 3-inch-long cuts at 1-inch intervals along each side of the dough at 45° angles to the filling. Trim off the top corners and fold the top end of the dough over the filling. Crisscross the angled strips over the filling to create a braided effect, tucking in the dough at the bottom end. Carefully lift the paper (or foil) at each end and transfer to the baking sheet.
- Blend egg white and water with a fork in a small bowl. Brush lightly over the pastry. Bake the Danish until golden and firm, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool slightly.
- To prepare glaze & finish Danish: Combine confectioners’ sugar and 2 teaspoons lemon juice in a small bowl. Stir until smooth. Add more lemon juice if the glaze is too thick. With a spoon, drizzle the glaze over the Danish. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Cover and refrigerate the filling overnight.
- Note: Use only fresh blueberries in this recipe.
Per slice: 208 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 255 mg sodium; 68 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique