Blueberry Corn Muffins
Yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground, adds a delicious flavor and golden hue to these moist, honey-sweetened muffins.
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 standard 21/2-inch muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, cornmeal, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Add blueberries and toss to coat.
- Whisk egg in a medium bowl. Add milk, honey and oil, whisking until well combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan, filling each cup about two-thirds full. Sprinkle the tops with sugar.
- Bake the muffins until the tops spring back when touched lightly, 18 to 22 minutes Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges and turn the muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
Tips & Notes
- DIY Muffin Cups: Make your next batch of muffins or cupcakes the ultimate grab-and-go treat by lining your tin with muffin liners. No liners? No problem. Use 5-inch squares of parchment paper, coat each muffin cup with cooking spray, and push each square into the cups using a small can or bottle, pressing the paper up the sides. (It’s OK if some of the paper is sticking out over the rim.) Fill each cup as directed.
Per muffin: 172 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 162 mg sodium; 72 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique