Blueberry Corn Muffins
Yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground, adds a delicious flavor and golden hue to these moist, honey-sweetened muffins.
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 standard 21/2-inch muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, cornmeal, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Add blueberries and toss to coat.
- Whisk egg in a medium bowl. Add milk, honey and oil, whisking until well combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan, filling each cup about two-thirds full. Sprinkle the tops with sugar.
- Bake the muffins until the tops spring back when touched lightly, 18 to 22 minutes Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges and turn the muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
Per muffin: 172 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 162 mg sodium; 72 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique