Blueberry-Cinnamon Swirl Ice Cream
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
Blueberries and cinnamon add flair to homemade vanilla ice cream.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 14-ounce can nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Sprinkle gelatin over water in a small bowl; let stand, stirring once or twice, while you make the base for the ice cream.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups milk into a large saucepan. Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise; scrape the seeds into the milk and add the pod.
- Heat the milk mixture over medium heat until steaming. Whisk egg yolks and condensed milk in a medium bowl. Gradually pour in the hot milk, whisking until blended. Return the mixture to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the back of the spoon is lightly coated, 3 to 5 minutes. Do not bring to a boil or the custard will curdle.
- Strain the custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean large bowl. Add the softened gelatin and whisk until melted. Whisk in the remaining 1 1/2 cups milk. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Whisk the ice cream mixture and pour into the canister of an ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. During the last 5 minutes of freezing, add blueberries and cinnamon to the ice cream maker. If necessary, place the ice cream in the freezer to firm up before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 week. | Equipment: Ice cream maker
Per serving: 214 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 89 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 104 mg sodium; 492 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 low-fat milk, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, frozen
- July/August 2008