Blueberry-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
It is not every day that you get a sweet and tangy barbecue sauce that also boasts a healthy dose of antioxidants. Try it with beef, chicken, pork or even some grilled shrimp.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 2 cups fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and just starting to brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add bourbon, increase heat to high and bring to a boil; cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in blueberries, ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, molasses and allspice; return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per tablespoon: 28 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- August/September 2006