Blueberry-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
It is not every day that you get a sweet and tangy barbecue sauce that also boasts a healthy dose of antioxidants. Try it with beef, chicken, pork or even some grilled shrimp.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 2 cups fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and just starting to brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add bourbon, increase heat to high and bring to a boil; cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in blueberries, ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, molasses and allspice; return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per tablespoon: 28 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- August/September 2006