Whatever the season, burgers remain America's favorite sandwich. When it is too cold to grill outdoors, broil the patties or use an indoor grill. In addition to the standard fixings—ketchup, salsa, onions and tomatoes—make your burgers more nutritious by adding dark greens, such as watercress or spinach.
- 2 slices whole-wheat country bread, crusts removed, torn into pieces
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen and thawed blueberries
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces 90%-lean ground beef
- Place bread in a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl. (No need to wash the workbowl.)
- Add blueberries, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire, garlic, salt and pepper to the food processor; process until pureed. Scrape into the bowl with the breadcrumbs. Add ground beef and mix well with a potato masher. Divide the mixture into four equal portions; form into 1/2-inch-thick patties, about 4 inches in diameter.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler or heat an indoor or outdoor grill to medium-high. If using the broiler, coat a broiler pan with cooking spray. If using a grill, oil the grill rack by rubbing it with an oil-soaked paper towel. Cook patties until browned and no longer pink in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center should register 160°F. Serve immediately, with or without rolls and toppings.
Per serving: 200 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 1 g fiber; 343 mg sodium; 344 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 lean protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient