Blueberry-Almond Pancake Mix
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Stone-ground cornmeal adds texture and flavor to these pancakes. Cook up any leftover batter—it makes cleanup easier and the pancakes can be packed for snacking later. Try them spread with a little peanut butter.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 3 tablespoons powdered buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons powdered egg whites
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus more for greasing skillet
- Maple syrup, (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- At home: Combine flour, cornmeal, powdered buttermilk, powdered egg whites, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, blueberries and almonds in a sealable plastic bag. Rub in 1 tablespoon oil. Seal bag.
- Pour additional oil and syrup, if using, into small plastic bottles. Pack bottles and a paper towel for greasing skillet in a small airtight plastic bag.
- At camp: Pour water directly into the bag of pancake mix and mix well. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Oil a nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat. Working in batches, spoon in about 3 tablespoons of batter for each pancake. Cook until the pancakes are browned on the bottom and bubbling on top. Turn and cook until other side is browned. Serve with maple syrup, if desired.
Per serving: 397 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 8 g fiber; 709 mg sodium; 354 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (21% daily value), Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- Ease of Preparation
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High calcium
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 1997
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)