Blueberry-Almond Pancake Mix
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Stone-ground cornmeal adds texture and flavor to these pancakes. Cook up any leftover batter—it makes cleanup easier and the pancakes can be packed for snacking later. Try them spread with a little peanut butter.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 3 tablespoons powdered buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons powdered egg whites
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus more for greasing skillet
- Maple syrup, (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- At home: Combine flour, cornmeal, powdered buttermilk, powdered egg whites, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, blueberries and almonds in a sealable plastic bag. Rub in 1 tablespoon oil. Seal bag.
- Pour additional oil and syrup, if using, into small plastic bottles. Pack bottles and a paper towel for greasing skillet in a small airtight plastic bag.
- At camp: Pour water directly into the bag of pancake mix and mix well. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Oil a nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat. Working in batches, spoon in about 3 tablespoons of batter for each pancake. Cook until the pancakes are browned on the bottom and bubbling on top. Turn and cook until other side is browned. Serve with maple syrup, if desired.
Per serving: 397 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 8 g fiber; 709 mg sodium; 354 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (21% daily value), Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- Ease of Preparation
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High calcium
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 1997