Blueberry-Almond Pancake Mix
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Stone-ground cornmeal adds texture and flavor to these pancakes. Cook up any leftover batter—it makes cleanup easier and the pancakes can be packed for snacking later. Try them spread with a little peanut butter.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 3 tablespoons powdered buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons powdered egg whites
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus more for greasing skillet
- Maple syrup, (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- At home: Combine flour, cornmeal, powdered buttermilk, powdered egg whites, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, blueberries and almonds in a sealable plastic bag. Rub in 1 tablespoon oil. Seal bag.
- Pour additional oil and syrup, if using, into small plastic bottles. Pack bottles and a paper towel for greasing skillet in a small airtight plastic bag.
- At camp: Pour water directly into the bag of pancake mix and mix well. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Oil a nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat. Working in batches, spoon in about 3 tablespoons of batter for each pancake. Cook until the pancakes are browned on the bottom and bubbling on top. Turn and cook until other side is browned. Serve with maple syrup, if desired.
Per serving: 397 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 8 g fiber; 709 mg sodium; 354 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (21% daily value), Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High calcium
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 1997