Blueberry-Almond Pancake Mix
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Stone-ground cornmeal adds texture and flavor to these pancakes. Cook up any leftover batter—it makes cleanup easier and the pancakes can be packed for snacking later. Try them spread with a little peanut butter.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 3 tablespoons powdered buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons powdered egg whites
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus more for greasing skillet
- Maple syrup, (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- At home: Combine flour, cornmeal, powdered buttermilk, powdered egg whites, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, blueberries and almonds in a sealable plastic bag. Rub in 1 tablespoon oil. Seal bag.
- Pour additional oil and syrup, if using, into small plastic bottles. Pack bottles and a paper towel for greasing skillet in a small airtight plastic bag.
- At camp: Pour water directly into the bag of pancake mix and mix well. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Oil a nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat. Working in batches, spoon in about 3 tablespoons of batter for each pancake. Cook until the pancakes are browned on the bottom and bubbling on top. Turn and cook until other side is browned. Serve with maple syrup, if desired.
Per serving: 397 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 8 g fiber; 709 mg sodium; 354 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (21% daily value), Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- Ease of Preparation
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High calcium
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 1997