Blueberry-Almond Pancake Mix
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Stone-ground cornmeal adds texture and flavor to these pancakes. Cook up any leftover batter—it makes cleanup easier and the pancakes can be packed for snacking later. Try them spread with a little peanut butter.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 3 tablespoons powdered buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons powdered egg whites
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus more for greasing skillet
- Maple syrup, (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- At home: Combine flour, cornmeal, powdered buttermilk, powdered egg whites, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, blueberries and almonds in a sealable plastic bag. Rub in 1 tablespoon oil. Seal bag.
- Pour additional oil and syrup, if using, into small plastic bottles. Pack bottles and a paper towel for greasing skillet in a small airtight plastic bag.
- At camp: Pour water directly into the bag of pancake mix and mix well. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Oil a nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat. Working in batches, spoon in about 3 tablespoons of batter for each pancake. Cook until the pancakes are browned on the bottom and bubbling on top. Turn and cook until other side is browned. Serve with maple syrup, if desired.
Per serving: 397 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 8 g fiber; 709 mg sodium; 354 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (21% daily value), Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High calcium
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- July/August 1997