Blue Ribbon Meatloaf
In revisiting this classic, we put the meat back in the “loaf” by using ultra-lean ground beef and turkey. With fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs and beer-simmered sweet onions, you'll never notice the missing fat.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 12-ounce bottle dark or amber beer
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds 95%-lean ground beef
- 1 1/4 pounds 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1 cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Pour in beer and increase heat to high. Bring to a vigorous boil; cook until the liquid is quite syrupy and the mixture reduces to about 3/4 cup, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in thyme, dry mustard, salt and pepper. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add beef, turkey, breadcrumbs, parsley, egg and egg white to the onion mixture. With clean hands, mix thoroughly and transfer to the prepared pan.
- Bake the meatloaf until an instant-read thermometer registers 160°F when inserted into the center, about 1 hour 20 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes; drain accumulated liquid from the pan and slice.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs, trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear the bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 259 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 101 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 21 g fiber; 339 mg sodium; 46 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (20% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more