Blue Ribbon Meatloaf
In revisiting this classic, we put the meat back in the “loaf” by using ultra-lean ground beef and turkey. With fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs and beer-simmered sweet onions, you'll never notice the missing fat.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 12-ounce bottle dark or amber beer
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds 95%-lean ground beef
- 1 1/4 pounds 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1 cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Pour in beer and increase heat to high. Bring to a vigorous boil; cook until the liquid is quite syrupy and the mixture reduces to about 3/4 cup, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in thyme, dry mustard, salt and pepper. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add beef, turkey, breadcrumbs, parsley, egg and egg white to the onion mixture. With clean hands, mix thoroughly and transfer to the prepared pan.
- Bake the meatloaf until an instant-read thermometer registers 160°F when inserted into the center, about 1 hour 20 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes; drain accumulated liquid from the pan and slice.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs, trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear the bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 259 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 101 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 21 g fiber; 339 mg sodium; 46 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (20% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation