Blue Cheese Portobello Burgers
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Blue cheese and slow-cooked onions turn a grilled portobello into an indulgent portobello burger. Ruby port—a sweet fortified wine—gives extra depth of flavor to the caramelized onions.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 3 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup ruby port
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat blue cheese (2 ounces)
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 4 thick slices tomato
- Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar and garlic in a bowl. Brush the mixture all over mushrooms and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add water and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is browned and very soft, about 15 minutes. Add port; cook, stirring occasionally, until mostly evaporated, about 3 minutes more. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Remove from the heat and cover.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Grill, gill-side down, for 5 minutes. Turn over and top each with 2 tablespoons cheese. Grill until the mushrooms are tender, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Toast buns. Divide the onions among the mushrooms. Serve (cheese-side up) on buns with arugula and tomato.
Per serving: 359 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 9 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 7 g fiber; 676 mg sodium; 816 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium & Vitamin C (24% daily value), Folate (19% dv), Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 high fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2012