Blue Cheese Portobello Burgers
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Blue cheese and slow-cooked onions turn a grilled portobello into an indulgent portobello burger. Ruby port—a sweet fortified wine—gives extra depth of flavor to the caramelized onions.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 3 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup ruby port
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat blue cheese (2 ounces)
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 4 thick slices tomato
- Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar and garlic in a bowl. Brush the mixture all over mushrooms and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add water and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is browned and very soft, about 15 minutes. Add port; cook, stirring occasionally, until mostly evaporated, about 3 minutes more. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Remove from the heat and cover.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Grill, gill-side down, for 5 minutes. Turn over and top each with 2 tablespoons cheese. Grill until the mushrooms are tender, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Toast buns. Divide the onions among the mushrooms. Serve (cheese-side up) on buns with arugula and tomato.
Per serving: 359 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 9 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 7 g fiber; 676 mg sodium; 816 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium & Vitamin C (24% daily value), Folate (19% dv), Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 high fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2012