Blue Cheese Portobello Burgers
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Blue cheese and slow-cooked onions turn a grilled portobello into an indulgent portobello burger. Ruby port—a sweet fortified wine—gives extra depth of flavor to the caramelized onions.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 3 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup ruby port
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat blue cheese (2 ounces)
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 4 thick slices tomato
- Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar and garlic in a bowl. Brush the mixture all over mushrooms and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add water and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is browned and very soft, about 15 minutes. Add port; cook, stirring occasionally, until mostly evaporated, about 3 minutes more. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Remove from the heat and cover.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Grill, gill-side down, for 5 minutes. Turn over and top each with 2 tablespoons cheese. Grill until the mushrooms are tender, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Toast buns. Divide the onions among the mushrooms. Serve (cheese-side up) on buns with arugula and tomato.
Per serving: 359 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 9 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 7 g fiber; 676 mg sodium; 816 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium & Vitamin C (24% daily value), Folate (19% dv), Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 high fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2012