Blue Cheese Portobello Burgers
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Blue cheese and slow-cooked onions turn a grilled portobello into an indulgent portobello burger. Ruby port—a sweet fortified wine—gives extra depth of flavor to the caramelized onions.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 3 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup ruby port
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat blue cheese (2 ounces)
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 4 thick slices tomato
- Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar and garlic in a bowl. Brush the mixture all over mushrooms and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add water and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is browned and very soft, about 15 minutes. Add port; cook, stirring occasionally, until mostly evaporated, about 3 minutes more. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Remove from the heat and cover.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Grill, gill-side down, for 5 minutes. Turn over and top each with 2 tablespoons cheese. Grill until the mushrooms are tender, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Toast buns. Divide the onions among the mushrooms. Serve (cheese-side up) on buns with arugula and tomato.
Per serving: 359 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 9 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 7 g fiber; 676 mg sodium; 816 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium & Vitamin C (24% daily value), Folate (19% dv), Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 high fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2012