Blue Cheese Dip
From EatingWell: Summer 2003
If you have a garden or farmer's market nearby, there's much to be said for setting out a plate of raw summer vegetables and serving them with nothing more than a great dip. Here is one that everybody seems to enjoy, a creamy blue cheese dip that's good with crunchy radishes (provide some toothpicks for impaling them), baby carrots, broccoli and the like. Use enough of any combination of veggies to feed 4 or 5 people.
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 scallions, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese, (4 1/4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place cream cheese, parsley, scallions, garlic, lemon juice and vinegar in a food processor; pulse until the mixture is fairly smooth, scraping down the sides once or twice. Add blue cheese, mayonnaise and pepper; pulse until smooth but still textured. You don't want the dip to be too smooth. If it seems to need a little thinning, add a teaspoon or so of water. Variation: For Parmesan Dip, substitute 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan for the blue cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Per tablespoon: 45 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 115 mg sodium; 39 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Summer 2003