Blue Cheese Dip
From EatingWell: Summer 2003
If you have a garden or farmer's market nearby, there's much to be said for setting out a plate of raw summer vegetables and serving them with nothing more than a great dip. Here is one that everybody seems to enjoy, a creamy blue cheese dip that's good with crunchy radishes (provide some toothpicks for impaling them), baby carrots, broccoli and the like. Use enough of any combination of veggies to feed 4 or 5 people.
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 scallions, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese, (4 1/4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place cream cheese, parsley, scallions, garlic, lemon juice and vinegar in a food processor; pulse until the mixture is fairly smooth, scraping down the sides once or twice. Add blue cheese, mayonnaise and pepper; pulse until smooth but still textured. You don't want the dip to be too smooth. If it seems to need a little thinning, add a teaspoon or so of water. Variation: For Parmesan Dip, substitute 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan for the blue cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Per tablespoon: 45 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 115 mg sodium; 39 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Summer 2003