Blackened Salmon Po' Boy
Mashed avocado mixed with reduced-fat mayo creates a cool, creamy spread—the perfect counterpoint to the spicy salmon and peppery arugula in this sandwich. Catfish is another tasty choice.
- 1/2 small avocado, pitted (see Tips for Two)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon blackening or Cajun seasoning
- 8 ounces salmon fillet, skinned and cut into 2 portions
- 2 crusty whole-wheat rolls, split and toasted
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 plum tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Preheat grill to high. Oil grill rack (see Tip).
- Mash together avocado and mayonnaise in a small bowl with a fork.
- Rub blackening (or Cajun) seasoning on both sides of salmon. Grill until just cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread the avocado mixture on the bottom halves of each roll. Top with the salmon, arugula, tomato and onion.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Although browning is inevitable, less browning is possible if you keep the pit in the avocado half you're storing and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Mash with reduced-fat mayonnaise and use as a sandwich spread; dice and sprinkle on top of scrambled eggs; toss in salad.
- Tip: To oil the grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 431 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 33 g protein; 6 g fiber; 756 mg sodium; 774 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (78% daily value), Potassium (22% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient