Blackened Salmon Po' Boy
Mashed avocado mixed with reduced-fat mayo creates a cool, creamy spread—the perfect counterpoint to the spicy salmon and peppery arugula in this sandwich. Catfish is another tasty choice.
- 1/2 small avocado, pitted (see Tips for Two)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon blackening or Cajun seasoning
- 8 ounces salmon fillet, skinned and cut into 2 portions
- 2 crusty whole-wheat rolls, split and toasted
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 plum tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Preheat grill to high. Oil grill rack (see Tip).
- Mash together avocado and mayonnaise in a small bowl with a fork.
- Rub blackening (or Cajun) seasoning on both sides of salmon. Grill until just cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread the avocado mixture on the bottom halves of each roll. Top with the salmon, arugula, tomato and onion.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Although browning is inevitable, less browning is possible if you keep the pit in the avocado half you're storing and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Mash with reduced-fat mayonnaise and use as a sandwich spread; dice and sprinkle on top of scrambled eggs; toss in salad.
- Tip: To oil the grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 431 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 33 g protein; 6 g fiber; 756 mg sodium; 774 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (78% daily value), Potassium (22% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient