Black & White Terrine
From EatingWell: December 1997
An espresso-laced chocolate cake is layered with vanilla frozen yogurt in this stunning and sophisticated dessert.
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process, divided
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 pints nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt
- Coffee Crème Anglaise, (recipe follows)
- Raspberries, or chocolate-covered coffee beans for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 13-by-18-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Line with parchment or wax paper, leaving a few inches of paper overhanging the ends and coat the paper with cooking spray.
- Slowly whisk coffee into 1/3 cup cocoa powder in a medium bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- Sift flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt into another bowl. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Increase speed to high and beat until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue beating until meringue is glossy and stiff peaks form. Add vanilla.
- Whisk 1 cup meringue into reserved cocoa mixture until smooth. Gently fold cocoa mixture into the remaining whites with a rubber spatula until evenly incorporated. Gradually sprinkle the reserved flour mixture over the egg whites, whisking until just incorporated.
- Scrape the batter into prepared pan, spreading it into the corners and smoothing the surface. Bake the cake just until top springs back when touched lightly, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Sift 1 tablespoon cocoa powder over the top of the cake. Turn the cake out onto a fresh sheet of wax paper and sift remaining 1 tablespoon cocoa powder over bottom of the cake. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the freezer until cold, at least 30 minutes.
- Place frozen yogurt in the refrigerator to soften for 30 minutes. (Alternatively, microwave on Low for 30 seconds.)
- Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Line bottom and sides of pan with plastic wrap, leaving a few inches overhanging the edges. Smooth out any bubbles. 10. Cut cake into 5-by-9-inch rectangles, using the top of the loaf pan as a guide. Place 1 rectangle in the bottom of the pan, trimming as necessary to fit. Spread half the frozen yogurt in an even layer over the cake. Repeat with the remaining cake and frozen yogurt, ending with a layer of cake. (Reserve any remaining cake for another use.) Wrap the cake with overhanging plastic and then with another layer of plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight. 11. To serve, place the terrine in the refrigerator to soften for 30 minutes. Invert the terrine onto a serving platter or cutting board; remove plastic wrap. With a serrated knife, cut into 12 slices, dipping knife in hot water between slices. Serve with Coffee Crème Anglaise and garnish with raspberries (or chocolate-covered coffee beans).
Per serving: 252 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 1 g fiber; 278 mg sodium; 196 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- December 1997