Black & White Terrine
From EatingWell: December 1997
An espresso-laced chocolate cake is layered with vanilla frozen yogurt in this stunning and sophisticated dessert.
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process, divided
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 pints nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt
- Coffee Crème Anglaise, (recipe follows)
- Raspberries, or chocolate-covered coffee beans for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 13-by-18-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Line with parchment or wax paper, leaving a few inches of paper overhanging the ends and coat the paper with cooking spray.
- Slowly whisk coffee into 1/3 cup cocoa powder in a medium bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- Sift flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt into another bowl. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Increase speed to high and beat until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue beating until meringue is glossy and stiff peaks form. Add vanilla.
- Whisk 1 cup meringue into reserved cocoa mixture until smooth. Gently fold cocoa mixture into the remaining whites with a rubber spatula until evenly incorporated. Gradually sprinkle the reserved flour mixture over the egg whites, whisking until just incorporated.
- Scrape the batter into prepared pan, spreading it into the corners and smoothing the surface. Bake the cake just until top springs back when touched lightly, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Sift 1 tablespoon cocoa powder over the top of the cake. Turn the cake out onto a fresh sheet of wax paper and sift remaining 1 tablespoon cocoa powder over bottom of the cake. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the freezer until cold, at least 30 minutes.
- Place frozen yogurt in the refrigerator to soften for 30 minutes. (Alternatively, microwave on Low for 30 seconds.)
- Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Line bottom and sides of pan with plastic wrap, leaving a few inches overhanging the edges. Smooth out any bubbles. 10. Cut cake into 5-by-9-inch rectangles, using the top of the loaf pan as a guide. Place 1 rectangle in the bottom of the pan, trimming as necessary to fit. Spread half the frozen yogurt in an even layer over the cake. Repeat with the remaining cake and frozen yogurt, ending with a layer of cake. (Reserve any remaining cake for another use.) Wrap the cake with overhanging plastic and then with another layer of plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight. 11. To serve, place the terrine in the refrigerator to soften for 30 minutes. Invert the terrine onto a serving platter or cutting board; remove plastic wrap. With a serrated knife, cut into 12 slices, dipping knife in hot water between slices. Serve with Coffee Crème Anglaise and garnish with raspberries (or chocolate-covered coffee beans).
Per serving: 252 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 1 g fiber; 278 mg sodium; 196 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- December 1997