Black Sticky Rice
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
Black sticky rice is a delicious whole-grain alternative to white rice, whether jasmine or sticky, which is the norm in Thailand. Black sticky rice, which is unpolished sticky rice, meaning the bran has not been removed, is purplish black in color and has a chewy texture. This black sticky rice recipe gives you a simple method for how to make black sticky rice, which, like any other rice, can be served with a meal. Black sticky rice is often used to make sweets (mixed with white sticky rice and simmered in coconut milk, for example). Look for black sticky rice in natural-foods stores in the bulk department or with other whole-grain rice.
- 1 cup black sticky rice
- 2 1/4 cups water
- Wash rice well in several changes of cold water. Drain well. Place in a large heavy saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Add water; bring to a vigorous boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the rice is tender (but still a little chewy in the center) and the liquid is absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Gently stir and serve.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 107 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 1 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 2013
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)