Black Pepper Biscotti
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
These savory black-pepper-and-fig-flecked biscotti are perfect for cocktail parties—just spread with softened goat cheese and serve with glasses of Sauvignon Blanc.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup finely chopped dried figs, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, pepper, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and egg whites, one at a time, mixing well to distribute the butter. Add the dry ingredients and mix until almost smooth. Stir in figs.
- Working on a floured surface, shape the dough into 2 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Place the logs on a prepared baking sheet and press the tops to flatten to 1/2 inch high. Bake until firm to the touch, 18 to 23 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Let cool.
Per biscotti: 41 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 55 mg sodium; 39 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992