Black Pepper Biscotti
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
These savory black-pepper-and-fig-flecked biscotti are perfect for cocktail parties—just spread with softened goat cheese and serve with glasses of Sauvignon Blanc.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup finely chopped dried figs, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, pepper, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and egg whites, one at a time, mixing well to distribute the butter. Add the dry ingredients and mix until almost smooth. Stir in figs.
- Working on a floured surface, shape the dough into 2 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Place the logs on a prepared baking sheet and press the tops to flatten to 1/2 inch high. Bake until firm to the touch, 18 to 23 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Let cool.
Per biscotti: 41 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 55 mg sodium; 39 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- November/December 1992
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)