Black Pepper Biscotti
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
These savory black-pepper-and-fig-flecked biscotti are perfect for cocktail parties—just spread with softened goat cheese and serve with glasses of Sauvignon Blanc.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup finely chopped dried figs, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, pepper, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and egg whites, one at a time, mixing well to distribute the butter. Add the dry ingredients and mix until almost smooth. Stir in figs.
- Working on a floured surface, shape the dough into 2 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Place the logs on a prepared baking sheet and press the tops to flatten to 1/2 inch high. Bake until firm to the touch, 18 to 23 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Let cool.
Per biscotti: 41 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 55 mg sodium; 39 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992