Black Pepper Biscotti
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
These savory black-pepper-and-fig-flecked biscotti are perfect for cocktail parties—just spread with softened goat cheese and serve with glasses of Sauvignon Blanc.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup finely chopped dried figs, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, pepper, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and egg whites, one at a time, mixing well to distribute the butter. Add the dry ingredients and mix until almost smooth. Stir in figs.
- Working on a floured surface, shape the dough into 2 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Place the logs on a prepared baking sheet and press the tops to flatten to 1/2 inch high. Bake until firm to the touch, 18 to 23 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Let cool.
Per biscotti: 41 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 55 mg sodium; 39 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992