Black-Eyed Peas with Greens & Smoked Tofu
From EatingWell: September 1997
In the South, black-eyed peas and greens are traditionally eaten on New Year's Day to bring good luck and prosperity to the New Year. We like this stew anytime of year. Make it a meal: Spoon the black-eyed peas over white or brown rice.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 16-ounce package frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 16-ounce package frozen chopped mustard greens, or spinach
- 1 8-ounce package baked, seasoned and smoked tofu, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in peas, greens, tofu, water, hot sauce, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until greens and peas are tender, about 25 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and hot sauce, if desired. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 150 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 6 g fiber; 598 mg sodium; 447 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (177% daily value), Vitamin C (36% dv), Folate (28% dv), Magnesium (23% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- September 1997