Black-Eyed Peas with Greens & Smoked Tofu
From EatingWell: September 1997
In the South, black-eyed peas and greens are traditionally eaten on New Year's Day to bring good luck and prosperity to the New Year. We like this stew anytime of year. Make it a meal: Spoon the black-eyed peas over white or brown rice.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 16-ounce package frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 16-ounce package frozen chopped mustard greens, or spinach
- 1 8-ounce package baked, seasoned and smoked tofu, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in peas, greens, tofu, water, hot sauce, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until greens and peas are tender, about 25 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and hot sauce, if desired. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 150 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 6 g fiber; 598 mg sodium; 447 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (177% daily value), Vitamin C (36% dv), Folate (28% dv), Magnesium (23% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- September 1997
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)