Black-Eyed Peas with Greens & Smoked Tofu
From EatingWell: September 1997
In the South, black-eyed peas and greens are traditionally eaten on New Year's Day to bring good luck and prosperity to the New Year. We like this stew anytime of year. Make it a meal: Spoon the black-eyed peas over white or brown rice.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 16-ounce package frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 16-ounce package frozen chopped mustard greens, or spinach
- 1 8-ounce package baked, seasoned and smoked tofu, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in peas, greens, tofu, water, hot sauce, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until greens and peas are tender, about 25 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and hot sauce, if desired. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 150 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 6 g fiber; 598 mg sodium; 447 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (177% daily value), Vitamin C (36% dv), Folate (28% dv), Magnesium (23% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- September 1997