Black-Eyed Peas with Greens & Smoked Tofu
From EatingWell: September 1997
In the South, black-eyed peas and greens are traditionally eaten on New Year's Day to bring good luck and prosperity to the New Year. We like this stew anytime of year. Make it a meal: Spoon the black-eyed peas over white or brown rice.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 16-ounce package frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 16-ounce package frozen chopped mustard greens, or spinach
- 1 8-ounce package baked, seasoned and smoked tofu, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in peas, greens, tofu, water, hot sauce, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until greens and peas are tender, about 25 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and hot sauce, if desired. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 150 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 6 g fiber; 598 mg sodium; 447 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (177% daily value), Vitamin C (36% dv), Folate (28% dv), Magnesium (23% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- September 1997