Black-Eyed Peas with Greens & Smoked Tofu
From EatingWell: September 1997
In the South, black-eyed peas and greens are traditionally eaten on New Year's Day to bring good luck and prosperity to the New Year. We like this stew anytime of year. Make it a meal: Spoon the black-eyed peas over white or brown rice.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 16-ounce package frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 16-ounce package frozen chopped mustard greens, or spinach
- 1 8-ounce package baked, seasoned and smoked tofu, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in peas, greens, tofu, water, hot sauce, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until greens and peas are tender, about 25 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and hot sauce, if desired. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 150 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 6 g fiber; 598 mg sodium; 447 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (177% daily value), Vitamin C (36% dv), Folate (28% dv), Magnesium (23% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- September 1997