Black-Eyed Peas & Okra
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This bean and okra recipe is a classic Southern side dish perfect for potlucks. Adding the okra toward the end of cooking guarantees a tender—not mushy—texture.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 small bay leaves, preferably fresh
- 2 cups black-eyed peas, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 pound fresh okra, stem ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add broth and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Stir in peas.
- Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add okra, salt, pepper and cayenne. Simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
Per serving: 154 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g total sugars; 9 g protein; 6 g fiber; 249 mg sodium; 362 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2014