Black-Eyed Peas & Okra
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This bean and okra recipe is a classic Southern side dish perfect for potlucks. Adding the okra toward the end of cooking guarantees a tender—not mushy—texture.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 small bay leaves, preferably fresh
- 2 cups black-eyed peas, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 pound fresh okra, stem ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add broth and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Stir in peas.
- Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add okra, salt, pepper and cayenne. Simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
Per serving: 154 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g total sugars; 9 g protein; 6 g fiber; 249 mg sodium; 362 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2014