Black-Eyed Peas & Okra
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This bean and okra recipe is a classic Southern side dish perfect for potlucks. Adding the okra toward the end of cooking guarantees a tender—not mushy—texture.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 small bay leaves, preferably fresh
- 2 cups black-eyed peas, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 pound fresh okra, stem ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add broth and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Stir in peas.
- Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add okra, salt, pepper and cayenne. Simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
Per serving: 154 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g total sugars; 9 g protein; 6 g fiber; 249 mg sodium; 362 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2014