Black-Eyed Peas & Okra
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This bean and okra recipe is a classic Southern side dish perfect for potlucks. Adding the okra toward the end of cooking guarantees a tender—not mushy—texture.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 small bay leaves, preferably fresh
- 2 cups black-eyed peas, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 pound fresh okra, stem ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add broth and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Stir in peas.
- Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add okra, salt, pepper and cayenne. Simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
Per serving: 154 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g total sugars; 9 g protein; 6 g fiber; 249 mg sodium; 362 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2014