Black-Eyed Pea Spread
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Serve this delectable, garlicky black-eyed pea spread with toasted slices of baguette as an appetizer.
- 1 15-ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed, or 1 1/2 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 1/4 cup tightly packed fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic, (1 large clove)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Reserve a few black-eyed peas for garnish and place the remaining peas in a food processor, along with parsley, lemon juice, oil, garlic, tarragon and pepper. Process until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding salt if desired. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the reserved peas.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 52 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 92 mg sodium; 70 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- May/June 1994